airtel makes its television debut - Set to redefine home entertainment with airtel digital TV
- Airtel digital TV to be available in 62 cities in first phase
- MPEG4 standard with DVB S2 technology offers high audio, video quality and ensures system in HD ready
- For the first time a universal remote for both Set Top Box and TV to offer enhanced customer convenience
- Wide range of channels and interactive applications
- 20% larger dish antenna offers better performance during rains
New Delhi, October 7, 2008: Bharti Airtel Limited today announced the launch of Airtel digital TV, its Direct To Home (DTH) Satellite TV service. Airtel digital TV, which is a perfect blend of latest technology, unique features, and great content, promises to redefine the digital home entertainment experience. The service will be available to customers through 21,000 retail points including Airtel Relationship Centres in 62 cities across the country starting October 9, 2008.
On the occasion, Mr. Manoj Kohli, CEO and Jt. MD, Bharti Airtel, said, “Today we are starting a new chapter in our journey, one that adds a new dimension to our existing product portfolio and is a major step towards transforming Airtel from just a telecom brand to a lifestyle enabler. The launch of Airtel digital TV is the culmination of our three screens strategy, which is to be present across mobile phone, computer and TV screens.”
Mr. Atul Bindal, President - Telemedia Services, Bharti Airtel, added, “We believe that the Indian DTH segment offers immense growth potential going forward. Given our deep understanding of Indian customer, we believe that Airtel has created an excellent product offering. With added benefits of Airtel’s strong brand equity and wide distribution network, we are well placed to emerge as a leading player in this segment.”
Airtel digital TV uses the latest MPEG4 standard with DVB S2 technology, which translates into exceptional picture clarity and consistent high quality audio for the customer. This latest technology also enables delivery of more complex interactive content and is High Definition ready. Also, Airtel digital TV uses 20% larger dish antenna that offers better performance during rain.
Besides the latest technology, Airtel digital TV brings many firsts to the DTH segment in India:
- Universal remote for both Set Top Box and TV that offers enhanced viewer convenience;
- Highest Set Top Box memory enabling more interactive applications;
- Exclusive content such as World space Radio;
- Interactive applications such as iMatinee (Book cinema tickets),Travel (Browse and book travel packages), iShop (Shop on TV for your favorite brands), iCity (Get your city’s information) and Widgets Update yourself on latest stock news).
- 8 screen iNews, 2 / 4 screen iSports.
- Amazing games with high quality graphics, refreshed every 6 weeks
- Audio gain control for uniform audio levels across all channels
- Simple and intuitive search
- On screen account meter
- Last viewed channel in case of power disruption/switch off
- Low battery indicator on the screen
These great viewing experience and unique features are backed by 24x7 customer care available in 8 different languages and a team of 800 professionally trained service engineers.
About Bharti Airtel Limited:
Bharti Airtel Limited, a group company of Bharti Enterprises, is India’s leading integrated telecom services provider with an aggregate of over 77.24 million customers as of end of August 2008, consisting of 74.77 million mobile customers. Bharti Airtel Limited has been voted as India's most innovative company, in a survey conducted by The Wall Street Journal.
Bharti Airtel is structured into three strategic business units - Mobile services, Telemedia services and Enterprise services. The mobile business provides mobile & fixed wireless services using GSM technology across 23 telecom circles. The Telemedia business provides broadband & telephone services in 94 cities and is foraying into the IPTV and DTH segments. The Enterprise business provides end-to-end telecom solutions to corporate customers and national & international long distance services to carriers. All these services are provided under the Airtel brand. Airtel’s high-speed optic fibre network currently spans over 78,540 kms covering all the major cities in the country. The company has two international landing stations in Chennai that connects two submarine cable systems - i2i to Singapore and SEA-ME-WE-4 to Europe. For more information, visit http://www.bhartiairtel.in/